Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini!!
If your like me, you have found yourself with an over abundance of end of the summer zucchini. How many ways can you make zucchini? Trust me, I have been challenged this summer by one particular client who h…as give me this yummy veggie every week for the last 5 weeks from his garden. Here are a few ways I have been preparing it.
Parmesan Sesame Zucchini
1 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Toss together all ingredients and bake at 400 for 20 minutes on a baking sheet.
Zucchini Fritters with Tzatziki
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
1/2 cup coarsely grated potato
pinch of flour
1 tablespoon chopped chives (or whatever herb you like)
1 tablespoon chopped mint (or whatever herb you like)
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup diced white onion
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 T. finely diced red onion
1 T. chopped mint
1/2 cup crumbled feta
squeeze of lemon juice
1. Place the grated zucchini and potato in a colander. Spread the veggies out to allow for maximum surface area exposure and sprinkle all over with kosher salt. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to drain.
2. Meanwhile, make the tzatziki, if desired: Stir together yogurt, onion, mint, salt and lemon juice. Taste. Add more salt if necessary. Chill until ready to use.
3. After the 30 minutes, squeeze veggies out and wrap in paper towels. Squeeze again. [Note: The veggies will not drain out enough liquid on their own in the collander, so squeezing them with a paper towel is a critical step to mopping up that moisture.] Open up the paper towel and spread out your veggies. Sprinkle with a pinch of flour to soak up leftover moisture.
4. In a bowl, whisk together egg, herbs and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onion and grated zucchini-potato mixture. Stir well.
5. Preheat over to 200ËF. Place a foil-lined cookie sheet in the oven. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter. When foam subsides, drop a spoonful of your fritter batter in. Gently pat with a spatula to flatten out the fritters, which will help make them crispy.
6. Cook about 3 fritters at a time until golden brown on each side. Place fritters in the oven while you make additional pancakes. Serve as soon as possible with tzatziki on the side